Posts tagged "Trends"
It seems that the structured silk blouse is everywhere right now and for good reason. This wardrobe staple can be worn with just about everything - over jeans, tucked in or out, with shorts, a skirt, to work, to the bar. It will go everywhere you go. It is a piece you can throw on to look instantly put together. Accessorize this with a brightly colored scarf for extra polish.
Top: Madewell, Epaulet Blouse $110
Bottom, Left to Right: MiH, Safari Blouse $194, (Madewell again), Equipment, Classic Blouse $180
Skirts by Anne Cramer
Available at: mellyonline.com
Stripes are a spring and summer staple but they are particularly en vogue for 2011. Incorporating stripes is an easy way to look stylish at the office, on the weekends, or out and about. Here are a few key picks:
The ever classic navy and white:
From top left, clockwise: Madewell Striped Silk Tee Dress ($138); Kate Spade Piper Skirt ($245); Madewell Anchor’s Away Dress ($98); Tory Burch Achima Shorts ($95); Aubin & Wills Stoneyfold Merino Wool Cardigan ($150)
-LW & WH
Madewell Striped Silk Tee Dress
I absolutely love this little dress and I think it’s a great piece because of its versatility. You can rock this number in spring and transition it to summer. It would also work as a day to night transition piece, particularly on the weekends!
In the spring, I imagine pairing this dress
with these booties, a scarf and a blazer:
And then when it gets too hot for all of that coverage, dress it down with some flops or dress it up with some sandals:
Left: TKEES Flip Flops
Right: Dolce Vita Idalia Flat Thong Sandals
Both available on www.shopbop.com
Tory Burch Carla Beaded Sandals
The ladies here at Pretty Polished love ourselves a bright color any day. With spring so quickly around the corner, we can’t wait! Cobalt blue is making a repeat appearance and that is probably because it is the most flattering color to most every skin tone. This show stopper looks great alone or mixed with other brights (a great raspberry or yellow).
1. Rebecca Taylor - Simply Shirt Silk Dress: To ease your way into spring, this Rebecca Taylor dress can be worn with black tights & suede pumps while it’s still cold, but toss the tights as soon as the weather warms up and this dress can take you anywhere. Love how the sash belt gives you a waist.
2. Parker - 2 Ruffle Dress in Cobalt Roses: A great summer dress. Throw on a gold metallic skinny belt and bring a cardigan for night and you’re ready to go.
3. DVF - Issie Deep Wrap Front Top: We have officially named this top “Sexiest Top For Spring and Summer.” DVF has done it again and this gorgeous stretch silk wrap top looks amazing with black skinnies for winter or white for spring. Some of us can’t pull off the white skinny pant but white bootcut jeans would do the trick!
4. Notte by Marchesa - Silk Chiffon Strapless Gown: While this is way out of our price range (nor do we have a place to wear this to outside of our living room) this dress is an absolute stunner and deserves to be mentioned. You’d be the star of any show.
5. Back to normal price ranges… Brass Plum - 3/4 Sleeve Jersey Cardigan in Sapphire: A secret weapon for simple basics like a cotton tank, Brass Plum at Nordstrom is a place you can always rely on for the cotton cardigan that looks great over a little dress.
I recently read that Rachel Zoe’s penchant for maxi dresses is rooted in the secret that they make EVERYONE look taller. She is about five foot nothing so I might have to trust her on this one…We here at Pretty Polished don’t love all maxi dresses equally, but we do love the 70’s look that’s so big right now, so we thought we’d highlight a few maxi’s for our readers.
1. Milly - Anais Hostess Dress: I’m 100% sure my mom owned this dress in the 70’s and I am dying for this to go on sale. The price tag is a bit hefty for me to justify but I love love love this. The full skirt is uber flattering. The second photo is how it was styled on the runway giving you an alternative more casual look!
Milly Anais Dress
Available: Saksfifthavenue.com, bloomingdales.com, shopbop.com
2. Laundry by Shelli Segal - Silk Gown: I was pretty much obsessed with Laundry dresses back in high school and I’m thrilled to see that I can still get my fix for summer trends. These two maxi dresses would be perfect for a more casual evening wedding (I’m headed to one on the beach in California soon and I’ll be buying the black one). The sweetheart neckline gives a more fitted feel to such a flowy structure. Loving the pink chunky necklace with the bright colors!
3. Michael Stars - Sleeveless Halter Maxi Dress: This casual day dress is adorable (and a much more reasonable price tag!). Pair with some flat sandals and a big canvas tote, you’re good for the day. We love how the sash gives you a waist in what would be a pretty flowy dress.
4. Rachel Pally Twist Shoulder Dress: A gorgeous black dress for an evening event…as someone who gets super hot in the summer, this looks like a perfect solution to keep me cool! Style with some great big earrings and some bangles.
5. James Perse Racerback Knit Maxi Dress: Another casual cotton dress for daytime…try throwing it on with a light brown chunky belt a bit lower than your waist.
The great thing about the Michael Stars and the James Perse Maxis is that you can make them your own and add a preppy, glam, bohemian, girly - whatever you’re feeling - vibe to either of them.
Check out these sandals, they would all look cute, and each one of them makes a different statement
I’d also throw on a fitted brown leather jacket over either of these dresses while the air is still cool. Go bare in the hot months!
- WH & LW
Neutral shoes are a trend again this season but we hope they last a while. The leg lengthening is serious stuff and everyone besides Gisele could use it. Here are some top picks:
1. Boutique 9 - Dulal Knotted Sandal: Sexy and sophisticated for any night out
2. KORS Michael Kors - Vail Peep Toe Wedges: Wedges are back this season and are a comfy alternative to the super skinny stiletto. These peep toe dorsay wedges are great in black too!
Update: LW purchased these over the weekend - they are to.die.for. So comfortable, the patent is soft, and the color (not adequately captured by this photo) is gorgeous. This shoe is very flattering to your foot and leg and looked awesome with the bright purple/cobalt dress I tried them on with. This is a must get for summer.
3. Tory Burch - Eddie Naplak in Royal Tan: Our love for Lanvin flats is still thriving but Tory Burch has come up with an alternative that don’t include her symbol flat smack in the front of the shoe. We picture these with black skinnies…loving the color contrast.
5. Jean Michel Cazabat - Romy in Taupe Snakeskin - I love the texture on these and while they are a bit pricy, I swear by their comfort and I am not one who can wear 4” pumps too often…Look for this brand on Gilt!
A more affordable alternative are the Calvin Klein Whinnie Pump Driftwood Fish Skin:
6. Boutique 9 - Dejana 2 Taffeta Pumps: A great alternative to the $775 Maison Martin Margiela Twist Front Suede Sandals we’d all die for.
- WH & LW
This top is so pretty. My sister, who has a long and straight torso, tried this on at Bloomingdales and it looked perfect on her.
- The stark white against the dark denim is perfect as an intro to spring.
- This top can be worn to work, especially on days you are doing happy hour.
- Wear with jean shorts or colored silk pants in the summer
Joie All over Lace Top
www.revolveclothing.com; bloomingdales stores
There is a lot you could do with this tunic. It can be worn as a dress, top, or cover up.
Lace Joie A La Plage
The antiqued lace look isn’t for everyone, but if you can wear this color, it’s stunning. This is a great little number for the bride to be.
Lace Shift Dress
If all that lace is a bit too much for you, try just a peek of it popping out from a cute skirt. The retro feel of this polka dot mini is too cute! Pair with a white cotton tee shirt to match the dots and any color heels to add a pop of color.
Alice + Olivia “Perry” Polka Dot Skirt
If you have the legs (and the tan) to pull off yellow shorts, I am not sure I want to be your friend but I will force you to buy these shorts. Paired with a black long sleeve silk top for evening or a bright cotton top for day, these yellow lace shorts will brighten anyone’s day.
Dallin Chase Cale Lace Shorts
- WH & LW
I’m not sure about you, but I was filled with dread when this Cher from Clueless a la 1995 cropped shirt trend emerged for spring. It’s cool if Diane Kruger and Kate Bosworth want to roll around with their “midriffs” (hello grandma) showing, but this is not something most girls can do and still be taken seriously. Fortunately for us, there are a few designers who understand our concerns and have provided modest options for those of us who want to do the crop but not the skin.
Naven Twisted Top
This top looks great with the accompanying naven shorts, it would be really cute with a fitted, high waisted black skirt or any other high waisted shorts.
*Note: Naven runs SMALL order at least 1 size up!
Cheap Monday Kenza Top
This top is pictured with lower rise shorts and even though you see a little skin on the sides, I think that is cute! A little skin on the sides is cuter (and sexier) than showing your full stomach. This would be exceptionally appropriate on a beach vacation.
For the more modest readers, Vince has these two gorgeous sweaters:
Vince Cropped Sweater
Vince Cropped Metallic Sweater
Similar to the naven above, this top is short and blousy and
would look chic with a long pendant necklace, jeans, black
skinny pants, and depending on how high rise your jeans shorts are, those too!
Theory Cropped Dolman Top
This is so preppy and easy going. I picture this at a beachside bbq in northern michigan or the cape.
Northern Michigan (my favorite place to spend my summer time)
Photo courtesy of Glen Arbor